The scientific-practical Law Journal “Almanac of Law” Volume 11 (2020),
Lynnyk O. Judicial Law-Making as an Important Guarantee of Human Rights
The article is dedicated to the doctrinal justification of the category of judicial law-making. The systematic identification of deficiencies in positive law, as well as the inconsistency in Ukrainian case-law, has led to the fact that filling in the gaps in law and legislation has informally become the competence of the national courts. This has caused the emergence of quasi-precedents claiming a place in the system of sources of law, has led to the regulation of the boundaries of judicial discretion in the court rulings and the need for the distinction of jurisprudence and judicial precedent. The article investigates the scientists’ approaches to the definitions of new legal forms, comparing controversial points of view about the legal nature of the law-making role of judges. The article also focuses on the issue of the binding character of high courts’ decisions to the lower ones in future similar cases, as well as on the problem of recognition of national and international jurisprudence as a source of law in Ukraine. Based on the analysis of different forms of judicial law-making and its relationship with the principles of law, such as rule of law and legal certainty, the author has formulated the definition and the features of the concept in question. The article defines the role of judicial law-making in the mechanism of guaranteeing and protection of human rights and proposes new ways of legalization at the normative level of law-making of the courts.
Key words: judicial law-making, precedent, legal provisions, human rights, case law, court.
1. Bilozorov Ye. Pravovi harantii zakhystu prav i svobod liudyny v Ukraini: realii ta problemy. Advokat. ¹8 (107). 2009. S. 26–30.
2. Khoroshkovska D. Rol sudovoi praktyky v systemi dzherel prava Ukrainy: teoretyko-pravove doslidzhennia: dys…kand. yuryd. nauk: 12.00.01.K., 2006.194 s.
3. Romaniuk Ya. Sudova pravotvorchist v umovakh reformuvannia pravosuddia: postanovka problemy. Pravo Ukrainy. ¹10. 2016. S. 9–19.
4. Alekseev S. Gosudarstvo i pravo. Nachal'nyj kurs. 3- izd., pererab. i dop. M.: Yurid. lit., 1996. 190 s.
5. Alekseev S. Teoriya prava. Moskva: «Bek», 1994. 224 s.
6. Koziubra M. Sudova pravotvorchist: anomaliia chy imanentna vlastyvist pravosuddia. Pravo Ukrainy. ¹10. 2016. S. 38–48.
7. Serdiuk V. Sudova pravotvorchist v konteksti zdiisnennia pravovoi reformy v Ukraini. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu, 2013. S. 90–93.
8. Skakun O. F. Teoriia derzhavy ta prava: pidr. K.: Alerta; KMT; TsUL, 2009. 520 s.
9. Lylak D. Sudochynstvo i problemy suddivskoi pravotvorchosti. Visnyk Verkhovnoho Sudu Ukrainy. 2003. ¹ 3. S. 61–71.
10. Marchenko M. Sudebnoe pravotvorchestvo i sudejskoe pravo: uchebnoe posobie. 2-e izd., pererab. i dop. M: Prospekt, 2017. 448 s.
11. Kelzen H. Chyste pravoznavstvo. per. z nim. K., 2004. 495 s.
12. Shemshuchenko Yu. Problemy funktsii Konstytutsiinoho Sudu. Visnyk Konstytutsiinoho Sudu Ukrainy. 2002. ¹ 2. S. 54–56.
13. Shevchuk S. Sudova pravotvorchist: svitovyi dosvid i perspektyvy v Ukraini. K., 2007. 640 s.