The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 13 (2022), 412-415 p.
Serdynskiy V. S. Judicial self-government in Ukraine (in the context of European standards)
The relevance of the issue of proper functioning of judicial self-government, its important role in protecting the independence of the judiciary and the professional interests of judges is not in doubt today. In this article, the author analyzed the organizational forms of judicial self-government in Ukraine, in accordance with the current legislation of our country. At the same time, the article pays special attention to the recommendations of the Advisory Council of European Judges, which analyzed the organization and empowerment of judicial councils in various European countries. It also provided its recommendations on the composition of such councils of judges, as well as an approximate list of powers that should be given to such councils.
The article draws attention to the existence of associations of judges, which also stand for the protection of the professional interests of judges and the protection of the independence of the judiciary.
The author concludes that the national legislation on judicial self-government is sufficiently in line with European standards on this issue, but warned that in case of legislative changes, or improvement of this institution, care should be taken of legislative and practical reform of the judiciary. The introduction of inconsistent legislative changes is otherwise detrimental to the judiciary and its perception by civil society.
Key words: Judicial Council, Judicial Self-Government, Independence of Judges.
1. Halaidenko T. Do pytannia rozmezhuvannia katehorii «pryntsyp nezalezhnosti suddiv» ta «harantii yoho realizatsii». URL: http://www.vru.gov. ua/Docs/a031110.pdf
2. Borovytskyi O. Suddivske vriaduvannia ta suddivske samovriaduvannia yak harantiia nezalezhnosti sudovoi vlady. Universytetski naukovi zapysky. 2019. Tom 18. ¹ 3 (71). S. 367–377.
3. Shpenov D. Iu. Poniattia suddivskoho samovriaduvannia yak odniiei z osnovnykh form upravlinnia sluzhboiu suddiv v Ukraini. Forum prava. 2014. ¹ 4. S. 364–369. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/FP_index. htm_2014_4_65
4. Hubanov O. O. Yevropeiskyi dosvid u sferi orhanizatsii suddivskoho samovriaduvannia: administratyvno- pravovyi aspekt. Yurydychnyi naukovyi elektronnyi zhurnal. 2018. ¹ 6. S. 208–213.
5. Evoliutsiia sudovykh rad i yikhnia rol u nezalezhnykh i bezstoronnikhsudovykh systemakh: Vysnovok KRIS ¹ 24 (2021). URL: https://rm.coe.int/opinion-no-24-2021-of-the-ccje-ukr/1680a50e49
6. Rol asotsiatsii suddiv u pidtrymtsi suddivskoi nezalezhnosti: Vysnovok KRIS ¹ 23 (2020). URL: https:// rm.coe.int/opinion-ccje-no-23-ukr/1680a54ba2