The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 13 (2022), 297-303 p.
Skrypniuk O. Î. Hybrid Political Regime: The Problem îf Positioning
Introduction. This is not the first time a scientific attempt to position a hybrid political regime in the article has made, again unsuccessful due to the contradictory nature of this regime, pronounced national specifics of combining democratic and authoritarian components, decades of delays in transforming hybrid regimes towards democracies. The methodological basis on which the study is based is a systematic analysis combined with an interdisciplinary approach. The application of this interdisciplinary approach shows that the mixed political regime was called a “hybrid” not by chance - it also has a heterosis effect.
Autocratic leaders and parties were well aware that military regimes and personal dictatorships looked too authoritarian and could face sanctions from the international community, so they sought ways to legitimize their autocratic advantages in order to remain in power for a long time.
The most effective approach for essentially authoritarian governments has been to fill the hybrid regime with the appearance of democracy, avoiding or distorting, depleting the very essence of democracy. By gaining an externally presentable democratic configuration, an authoritarian regime can pretend to respect rights and freedoms by actually cutting or obstructing their enjoyment.
Hybrid regimes can be stable, long-lasting and competitive – while meeting the demands of elites and the needs of society, setting an example of social compromise. The concept of a hybrid regime still has no theoretical basis, which would make it possible to distinguish its identity and clearly distinguish it from other types of political regimes.
Conclusions. The study of types of political regimes, the development of the theory of hybrid political regime and the application of interdisciplinary approach gives grounds to define hybrid regime as a separate type of political regime, more stable and durable than pure democratic and undemocratic forms due to its hybrid nature (heterotic effect) and unique national combination of democratic and authoritarian elements.
Key words: political regime, democracy, authoritarianism, hybrid political regime
1. Teoriya derzhavy ta prava: navchal’nyy posibnyk / za zah. red. S. D. Husaryeva, O. D. Tykhomyrova. Kyyiv: NAVS, Osvita Ukrayiny, 2017. [ukr].
2. Yavir V. Polityko-pravova systema. Pravova politolohiya. Akademichnyy kurs: pidruchnyk / za red. I. O. Kresinoyi. Kyyiv: Instytut derzhavy i prava imeni V. M. Korets’koho NAN Ukrayiny, 2021. [ukr].
3. Red’kin V. Politychni rezhymy, yikh riznovydy. URL: http://studies.in.ua/ru/gpzs-lekcii/3957-poltichn- rezhimi-yih-rznovidi.html [ukr].
4. Subota S. Osoblyvosti vzayemodiyi hromadyans’koho suspil’stva ta politsiyi v umovakh demokratychnoho politychnoho rezhymu. Yurydychnyy naukovyy elektronnyy zhurnal. 2021. ¹ 3. DOI https://doi. org/10.32782/2524-0374/2021-3/9 [ukr].
5. Haponenko V. Politychnyy rezhym i narodovladdya v Ukrayini. Naukovi zapysky Instytutu politychnykh i etnonatsional’nykh doslidzhen’ im. I. F. Kurasa NAN Ukrayiny. 2011. ¹ 4 (54). [ukr].
6. Subota S. Osoblyvosti vzayemodiyi hromadyans’koho suspil’stva ta politsiyi v umovakh demokratychnoho politychnoho rezhymu. Yurydychnyy naukovyy elektronnyy zhurnal. 2021. ¹ 3. DOI https://doi. org/10.32782/2524-0374/2021-3/9 [ukr].
7. Red’kin V. Politychni rezhymy, yikh riznovydy. URL: http://studies.in.ua/ru/gpzs-lekcii/3957-poltichn- rezhimi-yih-rznovidi.html [ukr].
8. Remizov A. Hibrydnyy politychnyy rezhym: deyaki problemy kontseptualizatsiyi. Osvita rehionu: politolohiya, psykholohiya, komunikatsiyi. 2012. ¹ 3. S. 67–72 [ukr].
9. Sarbash K. Teoretychni perspektyvy typolohiyi demokratychnoho spektru hibrydnoho politychnoho rezhymu.
Molodyy vchenyy. 2015. ¹ 9 (2). [ukr].
10. Lavrenova K. Osoblyvosti rozvytku hibrydnoho politychnoho rezhymu v umovakh demokratyzatsiyi: avtoref. dys. kand. polit. nauk: 23.00.02. Kyyiv, 2017. [ukr].
11. Huntington S. Democracy’s Third Wave. Journal of Democracy. 1991. Vol. 2. Issue 2. P. 12–34.
12. Halfway house. Cambridge Dictionary. URL: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ru/.
13. Case W. Can the «Halfway House» Stand? Semidemocracy and Elite Theory in Three Southeast Asian Countries. Comparative Politics. 1996. Vol. 28. No. 4. DOI https://doi.org/10.2307/422052
14. Geddes B. What Do We Know About Democratization After Twenty Years? Annual Review of Political Science. 1999. Vol. 2. P. 115–144. DOI https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.polisci.2.1.115
15. Heterozysnyy efekt. URL: https://superagronom.com/slovnik-agronoma. [ukr]
16. Case W. Malaysia today: The demise of a hybrid? Not so fast… Asia Research Institute. URL: https:// theasiadialogue.com/2019/05/14/malaysia-today-the-demise-of-a-hybrid-not-so-fast/.
17. Huntington S. Democracy’s Third Wave. Journal of Democracy. 1991. Vol. 2. Issue 2. P. 12–34.