The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 12 (2021), 186-190 p
Marchenko M. A. Perceiving the legal category of «dignity» in the legal approaches of the Islamic world
The right to human dignity respect is the fundamental aspect for any developed country and its legal system, where human dignity usually takes the most central role. However, taking into account certain provisions of the customary law and its origins, certain cultural or religious aspects in forming the legal regulations, specific court decisions and precedents,it is fair to say that the views on dignity within different legal systems will differ in their own way.
In the context of the above, the countries of the Islamic world are no exception, as the study of dignity as a legal category through the prism of Muslim legal experience cannot be separated from the religion. That is because Muslims, as followers of Islam, have their own unique perception of the world based primarily on the ancient religious customs, traditions, beliefs, etc.
The Islamic concept of human rights, in comparison with, for example, the Romano-Germanic approaches, does not emphasize the natural origin of rights and freedoms, because its foundation is based on other sources and other values, which in essence constitute the content of the Islamic world order.
According to some researchers, the Islamic legal concept is based on such principles as: dignity and brotherhood; equality of all members of Islamic society, without division on the basis of race and colour or social status; respect for the honour, reputation and family of each individual; presumption of innocence and personal freedom.
By studying dignity as a legal category through the prism of Islamic religious and legal principles, one can’t but highlight the fact that one of the specifics of such a legal family is the realization that rights and freedoms are the gift of Allah, and rights and freedoms are based on a certain sacred meaning that constitute the will of the Almighty. That is the reason why the dignity in the Muslim world perception is considered something divine, as human rights in Islam derive their power not from the will of the state or representatives of the government machine or human nature, but only from the will of the Creator. Given the sacred content of dignity as a multifaceted category in Muslim law, it is strictly forbidden to take action against a person’s authority, honest name, reputation and position in society.
Keywords: human dignity, Islamic law, rights and freedoms, Islam.
1. Bekhruz Khashmatulla. Yslamskye tradytsyy prava / Kh. Bekhruz; Odesskaia natsyonalnaia yurydycheskaia akademyia.– O. : Yurydychna literatura, 2006. – 293 s.
2. Vseobshchaya islamskaya deklaraciya prav cheloveka 1981 g. [Elektronnij resurs]. – Rezhim dostupu: https://www.worldislamlaw.ru/?p=2671
3. Kairska deklaratsiia pro prava liudyny u islami vid 05.08.1990 r. [Elektronnyi resurs]. – Rezhym dostupu: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_882#Text
4. Koran. Perevod smyslov i kommentarii Iman Valeri Porohovoj. 14-e izd. Moskva : RIPOL klassik, 2014. 800 s.
5. Lukianov D. V. Islamske pravo: oznaky ta tendentsii rozvytku. Islamic law: characteristics and prospects. Porivnialnoanalitychne pravo. 2013. ¹3-2. S. 40-43.
6. Muhhamad Sodik Muhhamad Jusuf. Prava cheloveka v Islame. Moskva – Sankt-Peterburg : Dilya, 2008. 258 s.
7. Plysniuk N. M. Systema zlochyniv proty zhyttia za kryminalnym zakonodavstvom okremykh zarubizhnykh derzhav. Liudska hidnist i prava liudyny yak osnova konstytutsiinoho ustroiu derzhavy: zb. tez mizhnar. nauk.-prakt. konf. (m.Khmelnytskyi, 19–20 zhovtnia 2018 r.). Khmelnytskyi, 2018. S. 249-252.
8. Preslavnyi Koran. Pereklad smysliv ukrainskoiu movoiu / [per. z arabskoi, peredmova, komentari, doslidzhennia M. M. Yakubovycha]. – Medina: Tsentr korolia Fahda z druku Preslavnoho Suvoiu, 2012. – 998 s.
9. Arab Charter on Human Rights 2004. [Elektronnyi resurs]. – Rezhym dostupu: http://hrlibrary.umn.edu/instree/loas2005.html?msource=UNWDEC19001&tr=y&auid=3337655.