The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 12 (2021), 220-226 p
Paliy N. O. On certain terms and definitions in the legislation on gender equality
The article reveals the issues of defining terms (concepts and definitions) in gender legislation. The author pays special attention to the definition of the term «vulnerable groups» and the definition of «women from vulnerable groups».The purpose of the study is to analyze certain terms and get acquainted with international experience in order to use certain initiatives in Ukrainian legislation to achieve gender equality. The term of vulnerable groups exists in everyday life,but there is no unified term and a clear understanding of what categories are attributed to women from vulnerable groups.
Existing research, current Ukrainian and European legislation, and international human rights practice conclude that it is vulnerable groups of populations are most prone to discrimination. For such categories of persons, discrimination may contain signs of plurality, namely exacerbated by signs of ethnicity, disability, age, and so on.
Scrutinize approach to determining the criteria for women’s vulnerability will allow to provide better social services that will be targeted at certain categories of people to achieve the best results.
It is important to develop comprehensive measures that address the problems and needs of certain categories of people and groups. The introduction of targeted approaches to implement the specific needs of each group are necessary measures.
In the course of the research the Ukrainian legislation and international practice on defining the term vulnerable categories of persons and women from vulnerable groups were analyzed.
Ensuring equality of rights is especially important for women from vulnerable groups. Therefore, determining which categories of women can be classified as «vulnerable» is a necessary component of the legal framework.The practical significance of this article is the need to determine the category of women from vulnerable groups and vulnerability criteria. A clear normative definition will provide a better understanding of the needs of such groups and take special measures to ensure their rights in a targeted and effective manner.
Keywords: women from vulnerable groups, legislation on gender equality, vulnerable categories of persons, terms in gender legislation.
1. Easten European Coalition for LGDT+Equality. Submission to inform the Report of the Independent Expert of the enjoyment of all human rights by older people / Resource access https://www.ohchr.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/Documents/Issues/OlderPersons/AgeismAgeDiscrimination/Submissions/NGOs/EEC-LGBTEquality. docx&action=default&DefaultItemOpen=1
2. EC. Inclusion of Vulnerable Groups / EC – Resource access: https://ec.europa.eu/employment_ social/2010againstpoverty/extranet/vulnerable_groups_en.pdf.
3. Association of Women Lawyers of Ukraine «YurFem» with the support of the International Renaissance Foundation. Methodical recommendations on providing legal aid to women from vulnerable groups, approved by the Order of the Coordination Center for Legal Aid of November 20, 2019 No.– 2019. – Resource access: http://jurfem.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Jurfem-pravova-dopomoga-zhinkam-z-vrazlyvyh-grup.pdf
4. UN Women. Analysis of the vulnerability of women and men in the context of decentralization in the territories of Ukraine affected by the conflict. Report / UN Women – Resource access: https://decentralization.gov.ua/uploads/ library/file/427/1.pdf
5. Ministry of Social Policy. Prevention of violence against women of vulnerable categories is discussed in Luhansk region / Ministry of Social Policy. - 2019. - Resource access: https://www.msp.gov.ua/news/17984.html
6. United Nations Development Program in Ukraine UNDP Project «Support to Social Sector Reform in Ukraine» in the area of «Attracting the most vulnerable groups of women and women to the labor market» - Access to the resource:UNDP brochure_women employment_pdf.pdf
7. Minutes of parliamentary hearings. Prevention and counteraction of discrimination of women from vulnerable social groups / Session hall of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine - 2018- Resource access:http://gska2.rada.gov.ua/zakon/new/par_sl/sl101018.htm
8. Law of Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, dated January 17, 2019 ¹ 2671-VIII, «On Social Services» [Electronic resource] – Access to the resource:https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2671-19#Text
9. UNHCR on human rights. Brief historic overview of the Commission on Human Rights [Electronic resource] / UNHCR on Human Rights - Resource Access: http://www.ohchr.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/Documents/HRBodies/CHR/Brief Historic.doc&action=default&DefaultItemOpen=1
10. Icelandic Human Rights Centre. THE HUMAN RIGHTS PROTECTION OF VULNERABLE GROUPS / Icelandic Human Rights Centre – Resource Access: https://www.humanrights.is/en/human-rights-education-project/humanrights-concepts-ideas-and-fora/the-human-rights-protection-of-vulnerable-groups
11. European Institute for Gender Equality. Glossary & Thesaurus/ European Institute for Gender Equality – Resource Access: https://eige.europa.eu/thesaurus/terms/1429