The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 12 (2021), 227-232 p
Serediuk V. V. The role and meaning of the state in neoconservatism
Neoconservatism as an ideological and political-economic system of knowledge contains a number of ideas about the role, tasks, purpose and meanings of the modern state, its relationship with social institutions (family, church, NGOs), as well as its role in economic relations. American neoconservatism, in contrast to British or German, is also characterized by attention to the foreign policy function of the state.
Reconsideration of the role, tasks and significance of the state in various spheres of society and in international relations in modern conditions determines the relevance of our study of this issue.
Neoconservatism, the ideas of which were implemented in the policies of the conservative parties of the United States, Great Britain, and Germany in the 1970-1990s, continues to influence the implementation of national and international policies of various states to this day. Neoconservatism, unlike neoliberalism, offers a different understanding of the role and meaning of the modern state.
Traditional values are ideologically substantiated and promoted: family, religion, morals, community, and the state. An important place in neoconservatism is given to social institutions, the need to overcome isolation of the individual from the institution of community (religious, social, government). The integration of the individual into social institutions and the return of the importance of the state authority in the worldview of the individual are considered priorities of state influence.
American neoconservatism substantiates the US foreign policy function – to protect the democratic values in international relations.
In the economic sphere, neoconservatives insist on reducing government intervention in market relations, returning to the ideals of classical economic liberalism, and taking a number of fiscal and monetary policy measures to reduce inflation, unemployment, and stimulate economic development.
Although neoconservatism recognizes the need to build a strong state, it is not seen as authoritarian, encroaching on,restricting or abolishing human and civil rights and freedoms recognized in democracies after World War II. However, freedom is understood as a sphere of free behavior of the individual, which exists in relations with other members of society and is limited by the freedom of another person.
Keywords: neoconservatism, state, role, individual, social institutions, traditional values, intervention, economy, law.
1. Panchenko, Yu. V. Istoriia i praktyka neokonservatyzmu Velykoi Brytanii ta SShA chasiv uriadiv M. Tetcher i R Reihana [Tekst] : àvtoreferat. ... k. ist. nauk, spets.: 07.00.02 – vsesvitnia istoriia / Yu. V. Panchenko. – Sumy : Vyd-vo SumDU, 2008. – 13 s.
2. Serediuk V. V. Rol ta pryznachennia derzhavy v techiiakh neoliberalizmu / V. V. Serediuk // Almanakh prava. – 2020. –Vyp. 11. – S. 213-219.
3. Radbrukh H. Filosofiia prava. K. : Tandem, 2006. – 316 s.
4. Novaya filosofskaya enciklopediya: v 4 t. / V.S. Stepin. – M.: Mysl’, 2-e izd., ispr. i dopol. – M.: Mysl’, 2010. –Rezhim dostupu: https://iphlib.ru/library/collection/newphilenc/document/HASHde7f4caa66a6b2a4acdcde
5. Galkin A. A., Rahshmir P. Yu. Konservatizm v proshlom i nastoyashchem, L. : Nauka, 1987. – 192 s.
6. Kim F. S. «PROSVEShchYoNNYJ KONSERVATIZM» G.-K. KAL’TENBRUNNERA I «GESELLSCHAFT FÜR GANZHEITSFORSCHUNG» // Istoricheskie, filosofskie, politicheskie i yuridicheskie nauki, kul’turologiya i iskusstvovedenie. Voprosy teorii i praktiki Tambov : Gramota, 2017. – ¹ 7(81). – C. 75-78.
7. Scruton R. The Meaning of Conservatism. Palgrave Macmillan, 2001. – 206 ð.
8. Gadzhiev K. S. Politicheskaya nauka: ucheb. posobie dlya stud. vuzov / K. S. Gadzhiev. – 2-e izd. – M. : Mezhdunar. otnosheniya, 1996 – 488 c.
9. Irving Kristol, «The Neoconservative Persuasion», Weekly Standard, 2003 (August 25), Vol. 8, Issue 47.
10. Tsikh H. V. Formuvannia ekonomichnoi polityky derzhavy na osnovi polozhen neokonservatyvnykh teorii / H. V. Tsikh,N. Iu. Marynenko // Teoretychni ta prykladni pytannia ekonomiky : zbirnyk naukovykh prats / MONU; KNU imeni Tarasa Shevchenka; In-t konkurentnoho suspilstva. – Kyiv, 2011. – Vyp. 26. – S. 148-160.
11. Margaret Thatcher Speech in Finchley Elektronnyi resurs. – Ðåæèì äîñòóïó: https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/104002
12. Sovremennyj liberalizm: Dzhon Rolz, Ronal’d Dvorkin, Isajya Berlin, Uill Kimlika, Majkl Dzh. Sehndel, Dzheremi Uoldron, Charl’z Tejlor / Per. s angl. L. B. Makeevoj. – M. : Progress-Tradiciya: Dom intellektual’noj knigi, 1998. – 248 c.
13. Fridman M. Kapitalizm i svoboda / Milton Fridman, Rouz Fridman; per. z anhl. N. Rohachevska. – K. : Nash format, 2017 – 216 s.