The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 13 (2022), 434-438 p.
Cherepovskyi K. V. Interstate investment legal treatment as a factor of investment attractiveness
The theses are devoted to one of the key components of international investment agreements – investment legal treatment, since an even fluent analysis of international investment arbitrations with participation of states and subjects of economic activity with investments from abroad delivers understanding that standards and guarantees of investment legal treatments have fundamental character at least for the mentioned legal practices. Kind of argument for this could be found in a position of agreed provisions of investment treatments at bilateral investment treaties, which usually follows introduction norms for investment permitting and admitting, being set from the very beginning of such treaties. But, is this fundamental character of investment legal treatments being remained in other important rules of international investment implementation? Scientific questions about corresponding dualism are likely the key at these theses, because the concept of investment legal treatment is quite deeply studied in the framework of international law and general law theories, but leaves a number of insufficiently disclosed scientific and practical issues regarding the specifics of this concept in certain branches, including international investment law in the first place. The analysis defines main practical problems of international investment law, including the legal protection of international investment and the delimitation of actions of states that constitute expropriation or the measures taken by states under the right to regulate within public interest. Separate researching attention also paid to legal interaction between the concepts of the investment legal treatment as legal instrument of an international lawyer, and the state guarantees for the protection of foreign investment – as remedy and element of specialist in domestic law practices. Provided research significates investment legal treatment importance as a factor of local investment attractiveness, it also outlines importance of development of state guarantees for protection of foreign investments by delivering progressive European approaches as the examples, focusing on effective balance reaching within the corresponding regulation. Scientific and practical conclusions on the most important legal sources in the field of international investment activities are made, the direction for the next stage of researching work is preoutlined.
Key words: international investment law, international investments, investment legal treatment, bilateral investment treaties, international investment arbitration, state guarantees for the protection of foreign investments.
1. Shemshuchenko Y. S. Yurydychna entsyklopediia: v 6 tomakh. Redkol.: Yu.S. Shemshuchenko (holova redkol.) ta in. Kyiv: Ukr. entsykl., 1998. URL: https://leksika.com.ua/legal/
2. Utevskyi B. S. Sovetskaia yspravytelno-trudovaia polytyka. Moskva: Sovet. zakonodatelstvo, 1934. 256 s.
3. Alekseev S. S. Teoryia prava. Yzdanye 2-e, pererabotannoe y dopolnennoe. Moskva: Yzdatelstvo BEK, 1995. 320 s.
4. Matuzov N. Y., Malko A. V. Pravovye rezhymy: voprosy teoryy y praktyky. Pravovedenye: zhurnal. 1996.¹ 1. S. 6–29.
5. Cherepovskyi K. V. Dva kliuchovykh komponenty suchasnykh mizhnarodnykh investytsiinykh dohovoriv. Teoretycheskye aspekty yurysprudentsyy y voprosy pravoprymenenyia: sb. st. po materyalam LVII Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-praktycheskoi konferentsyy «Teoretycheskye aspekty yurysprudentsyy y voprosy pravoprymenenyia». ¹ 3(57). Moskva: Yzd. «Ynternauka», 2022. URL: https://www.internauka.org/conf/ law/lvii/334784
6. Farkhutdynov Y. Z. Mezhdunarodnoe ynvestytsyonnoe pravo y protsess. Uchebnyk. Moskva: Prospekt, 2010.
7. Gazzini T. Bilateral Investment Treaties // T. Gazzini, E. De Brabandere (eds.). International Investment Law: The Sources of Rights and Obligations, VU Research Portal, 2012. 35 ð.
6. ADC Affiliate Limited and ADC & ADMC Management Limited v. Hungary, ICSID Award // ARB/03/16, Award, 2 October 2006.
7. Doronyna N. H., Semyliutyna N. H. Hosudarstvo y rehulyrovanye ynvestytsyy. Moskva: Horodets-yzdat, 2003. 272 s.
8. Investytsiine pravo Ukrainy: navchalnyi posibnyk. Za zah. red. V. D. Chernadchuka. 2-he vyd., pererob. i dop. Sumy: VTD «Universytetska knyha»; Kyiv: VD «Kniahynia Olha», 2005. 384 s. URL: https://buklib.net/ books/37105/
11. Poiedynok V. V. Pravove rehuliuvannia investytsiinoi diialnosti: teoretychni problemy. Monohrafiia. Nizhyn: TOV «Vydavnytstvo «Aspekt-Polihraf», 2013. 480 s.
12. Volkova I. O. Zabezpechennia rivnovahy mizh zakhystom investoriv vid nepriamoï ekspropriatsiï ta pravom derzhavy na rehuliuvannia. Naukovyi yurydychnyi zhurnal. Pravovi novely. Mizhnarodnyi universytet biznesu i prava. ¹ 14/2021. S. 70–80.
13. Khrimli O. Derzhavni harantii yak sposib zakhystu prav investoriv. Pidpryiemnytstvo, hospodarstvo i pravo.2016. ¹ 2. S. 60–65.
14. The Lisbon Treaty: Third edition. Foundation for EU Democracy, Denmark – 2009. URL: http://en.euabc.com/ upload/books/lisbon-treaty-3edition.pdf.
15. Dmytryk O. O., Tokarieva K. O. Rozvytok biznes-seredovyshcha v Ukraini: okremi aspekty pravovoho zabezpechennia: Monohrafiia. Kharkiv, 2019.