The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 13 (2022), 282-285 p.
Pokhylenko I. S. Features of determining the territorial jurisdiction of court cases under martial law
The article is devoted to the peculiarities of determining the territorial jurisdiction of martial law, because on February 24, 2022 the Law of Ukraine “On Approval of the Decree of the President of Ukraine” On martial law in Ukraine “in connection with the military aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine was imposed martial law, which continues today.
The issues of determining the territorial jurisdiction of court cases were covered in the works of G. Shershenevich, I. Pobirchenko, V. Shcherbina, V. Belyanevich, D. Prityka, V. Chernadchuk, M. Smokovich, V. Sukhonos, V. Nagrebelny, O. Kharitonova, I. Balyuk, but in the context of martial law, they acquired a new meaning.
The purpose of the article is to highlight the peculiarities of determining the territorial jurisdiction of court cases under martial law.
Research methods: the following methods are applied. Formal-logical – for the formation of new concepts, their classification; eliminating inaccuracies and contradictions, etc. Formal dogmatic, or legal method, based on the use of rules of formal logic for knowledge of law, is a traditional, inherent in legal science, since it proceeds from its nature. Its essence is in the formulation and disclosure of legal concepts, the construction of legal structures, and clarification of the actual content of the law. At all stages of scientific research the dialectical method is used. This method determines the paths of any scientific study. It helps to explore all the phenomena in the relationship, interdependence. Comparative method involves comparing single-order legal concepts, phenomena and processes to establish similarities and account for differences between them.
The article analyzes the provisions of current legislation, the main scientific approaches to defining the concept of jurisdiction of court cases, as well as case law in this area. In addition, bills ¹7315 on amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges” on martial law or state of emergency and ¹7316 on amendments to the Code of Administrative Procedure of Ukraine, the Civil Procedure Code of Ukraine and the Commercial Procedure Code of Ukraine are considered (concerning the administration of justice in a state of war or emergency).
As a result, it is concluded that digitalization issues related to determining the territorial jurisdiction of martial law are relevant and practical, as they promote the implementation and protection of citizens’ rights and establish effective mechanisms for wartime justice. Because the courts are objects of critical infrastructure, and therefore the implementation of justice in our country does not stop and the right of citizens to judicial protection can not be limited.
Key words: court proceedings, territorial jurisdiction, martial law
1. Overchuk S. V. Ponyattya ta vydy pidsudnosti v kryminalʹnomu protsesi Ukrayiny: avtoref. dys. … kand. yuryd. nauk: spets. 12.00.09 «Kryminalʹnyy protses i kryminalistyka; sudova ekspertyza» / Natsionalʹna akademiya vnutrishnikh sprav MVS Ukrayiny. Kyiv, 2005. 20 s.
2. Petrenko N. O. Pidsudnistʹ sprav hospodarsʹkym sudam Ukrayiny: dys. … kand. yuryd. nauk: spets. 12.00.04 / Odesʹkyy natsionalʹnyy universytet imeni I. I. Mechnykova. Odesa, 2016. 244 s.
3. Smokovych M. I., Bevzenko V. M. Administratyvnyy protses Ukrayiny: teoriya, praktyka: pidruchnyk / Zah. red. d. yu.n., prof. V. M. Bevzenka. Kyyiv: VD «Dakor», 2020. 1346 s.
4. Rozporyadzhennya pro vyznachennya terytorialʹnoyi pidsudnosti sprav URL: https://supreme.court.gov.ua/ supreme/gromadyanam/terutor_pidsudnist/ (Data zvernennya: 25.05.2022 roku)
5. Holova Verkhovnoho Sudu: YE informatsiya, shcho okupanty ne vypuskayutʹ v evakuatsiyu suddiv URL: https://ua.interfax.com.ua/news/general/822350.html (Data zvernennya: 25.05.2022 roku).