The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 13 (2022), 199-204 p.
Vasetsky V. Y. The basis of the legal consequences of the aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine: the need to punish criminals
Summary: The paper in connection with the war waged by the Russian Federation against Ukraine analyzes the grounds of existing legislation and the practice of its application to convict criminals. The war waged by the Russian Federation against Ukraine is an event of such magnitude that, after the undoubted defeat of the Russian Federation in many areas, it will have significant consequences, including in the legal sphere.
The aim of the work is to study the composition for which it is necessary to meet with the occupiers of the Russian Federation, compliance with the main features of crimes, show support for international institutions and politicians, as well as the need to improve international and national legislation against aggressors.
Crimes committed and continue to be committed by Russia, its military and political leadership, individual perpetrators not only in the military sphere, but also in the propaganda and also economic fields in international law can be defined as war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide, crimes of aggression and more. The full list of crimes, as well as the punishment for them is contained in the Statute of the International Criminal Court (“Rome Statute”).
Signs of Nazi Germany’s war against humanity can also be seen in the war waged by the Russian Federation in Ukraine. The assessments given to this war by the most authoritative authors testify to its inhuman character, which is unacceptable in the civilized society of the XXI century. Crimes fall under the definitions contained in the list of crimes contained in the Rome Statute.
Signs of Nazi Germany’s war against humanity can also be seen in the war waged by the Russian Federation in Ukraine. The assessments given to this war by the most authoritative authors testify to its inhuman character, which is unacceptable in the civilized society of the XXI century. Crimes fall under the definitions contained in the list of crimes of the Rome Statute.
From a legal point of view, the issue is not only about the qualification of crimes, it is necessary to work towards creating conditions to prevent such in the future. There is no doubt about the responsibility for this at all levels - government agencies, civil servants, starting with the President of the Russian Federation, specific perpetrators, ordinary soldiers who killed, tortured civilians, committed acts of looting and more.
Key words: Aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine, qualification of crimes, responsibility according to the international legislation.
1. UN. General Assembly (11th emergency special sess.: 2022). Aggression against Ukraine : resolution / adopted by the General Assembly. A_RES_ES-11_1-EN - PDF.
2. Krainy-chleny formatu “Ramshtain” provedut 23 travnia novu zustrich shchodo oborony Ukrainy. URL: https://censor.net/ua/n3342773.
3. V Ukraini stvoreno spetspidrozdil mizhnarodnoho lehionu. Ukrainska pravda. 7 bereznia 2022. URL: https:// www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/7/7329133/.
4. Dmytriiev A. Vestfalskyi myr 1648 roku: vytoky suchasnoho mizhnarodnoho prava. Liudyna i polityka. 1999. ¹ 2. S. 21–25.
5. Vasetskyi V. Iu. Vplyv sotsialno-politychnykh podii v Yevropi XVI-XVII st. na rozvytok pravovoi doktryny Novoho chasu. Almanakh prava. Tlumachennia prava: vid teorii do praktyky. Vyp. 12. Kyiv: In-t derzhavy i prava im. V. M. Koretskoho NAN Ukrainy, 2021. S. 136–141.
6. Zahalna deklaratsiia prav liudyny. Kyiv: Pravo, 1995. 12 s.
7. Onishchuk M. Problemy zabezpechennia prav liudyny v Ukraini: vid zahalnoi deklaratsii prav liudyny do sohodennia. Pravo Ukrainy. 2009. ¹ 4. S. 29–35.
8. Nyporko Yu. I. Niurnberzkyi protses. Yurydychna entsyklopediia u 6 t. Vidp. red Yu. S. Shemshuchenko. Kyiv: Ukrainska entsyklopediia im. M. P. Bazhana, 2003. T. 4. 720 s.
9. Poltorak A. I. Nyurnbergskiy epilog. Moskva: Yurid. Lit., 1983. 416 s.
10. Rymskyi statut Mizhnarodnoho kryminalnoho sudu. Verkhovna Rada Ukrainy. Dokument 995_588. Redaktsiia vid 16.01.2002. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/ laws/show/995_588#Text.
11. Maliarenko V. T. Mizhnarodnyi kryminalnyi sud. Yurydychna entsyklopediia u 6 t. Vidp. red. Yu. S. Shemshuchenko. Kyiv: Ukrainska entsyklopediia im. M. P. Bazhana, 2003. T. 5 . 736 s.
12. Yatsenko S. S. Henotsyd. Yurydychna entsyklopediia u 6 t. Vidp. red Yu. S. Shemshuchenko. Kyiv: Ukrainska entsyklopediia im. M. P. Bazhana, 1998. T. 1. 672 s.
13. Konventsiia pro nezastosuvannia stroku davnosti do voiennykh zlochyniv i zlochyniv proty liudstva. Verkhovna Rada Ukrainy. Dokument 995_168. Ratyfikatsiia vid 16.01.2002. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/ laws/show/995_168#Text.
14. Venediktova I. V. Zlochyny RF u Mariupoli mozhna kvalifikuvaty yak henotsyd. URL: https://censor.net/ua/ news/3329301/zlochyny_rf_u_mariupoli_mojna_kvalifikuvaty_yak_genotsyd_venediktova.
15. «Tse zaklyky do henotsydu»: Denisova - pro stattiu v «RYA Novosty». URL: https://censor.net/ua/n3331331.
16. Podii v Buchi «nedaleki» vid henotsydu – brytanskyi premier. URL: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric- polytics/3450199-podii-v-buci-nedaleki-vid-genocidu-britanskij-premer.html.
17. PARIe zaklykala stvoryty Mizhnarodnyi kryminalnyi trybunal nad kerivnytstvom RF. URL: https://zn.ua/ukr/ POLITICS/parje-zaklikala-stvoriti-mizhnarodnij-kriminalnij-tribunal-nad-kerivnitstvom-rf.html.