The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 14 (2023), 527 - 531 p.
Cherepovskyi K. V. Fair and equitable treatment as a combination of principles of law.
The article is dedicated to such a customary law-based criterion of the compliance of states’ behavior within their international obligations as it is the fair and equitable treatment. This investment treatment, from the one side, is an interweaving of the legal principles of justice and equality, and from another, is formed by interpretations of decisions of international investment arbitrations. In the article also listed and briefly described some principles of law including general and specific for the branches of investment law and international investment law as well as some cross-branch legal principles. The listing and descripting of mentioned legal principles is done based on well-known theoretical-pedagogical sources and acts of international organization. These legal principles create a noticeable influence on interpretation of the fair and equitable treatment by international investment arbitrations. On the basis of authoritative works on the international investment law a modern list of some elements of the fair and equitable treatment is also provided, some of these elements are either based on key legal principles for the branch of international investment law, or are their direct embodiment. There are also quotations from decisions of international arbitrations regarding foreign investments, which are provided as examples in the material. These examples make it possible to express the legal nature of the fair and equal treatment from the point of view of influence of certain principles of law on it or transfer the general conceptual meaning of this investment treatment as the protecting international investments remedy.
Key words: investment treatment, fair and equitable treatment, general principles of law, legal principles of international investment law.
1. Konspekt lektsii z osnov teorii mizhnarodnoho prava. Dlia studentiv III kursu viddilennia mizhnarodnoho prava Instytutu mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn Kyivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka / O. Zadorozhnii, V. Butkevych, V. Mytsyk. Kyiv, 2001, 145 s.
2. Mizhnarodne publichne pravo: pidruchnyk: u 2 t. / za red. V. V. Mytsyka; M. V. Buromenskyi, O.V. Butkevych ta in. Kharkiv: Pravo, 2020. T. 1. 416 s.
3. Teoriia prava i derzhavy: pidruchnyk / za red. O. F. Skakun. Kyiv: Pravova yednist: Alerta, 2014. 524 s.
4. Public and Private in International Investment Law: An Integrated Systems Approach / Maupin J. Virginia Journal of International Law. 2014. ¹ 54. P. 367–435.
5. Poiedynok V.V. Pravove rehuliuvannia investytsiinoi diialnosti: teoretychni problemy: monohrafiia. Nizhyn: TOV «Vydavnytstvo «Aspekt-Polihraf», 2013. 480 s
6. Investytsiine pravo: pidruchnyk/ za zah. red. Yu. M. Zhornokuia. Xarkiv: Pravo, 2015. 512 s.
7. Shumylov V. M. Mezhdunarodnoe åkonomycheskoe pravo v åpokhu hlobalyzatsyy. Moskovskyi zhurnal mezhdunarodnoho prava. 2001(2). S. 167–203.
8. Lukashuk Y. Y. Mezhdunarodnoe pravo. Osobennaia chast: ucheb. dlia studentov yuryd. fak. y vuzov / Ros akad. nauk, Yn-t hosudarstva y prava, Akadem. pravovoi ³n-t. Yzd. 3-e, pererab. ³ dop. Moskva: Volters Kluver, 2005. 544 s.
9. Guidance for recipient country investment policies relating to national security. Recommendation adopted by the OECD Council on 25 May 2009.
10. Principles of International Investment Law / R. Dolzer, C. Schreuer. Oxford University Press. Second edition. 2008. 433 Ð.
11. Fair and Equitable Treatment Standard in International Investment Law / Working Papers on International Investment. OECD. 2004/03.
12. Indian Metals & Ferro Alloys Ltd v. Republic of Indonesia. Award of PCA / PCA Case No. 2015-40. Award of 29 Mar of 2019.
13. PSEG Global Inc. and Konya Ilgin Elektrik Üretim ve Ticaret Limited Sirketi v. Republic of Turkey, ICSID Award / ICSID Case No. ARB/02/5. Award of 19 Jan 2007.