The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 14 (2023), 145-151 p.
Luts L. A., Nastasyak I. Y. Compliance of modern laws of Ukraine with international legal values: slogan or reality
The article analyzes international legal sources: the UN Charter, Declarations on the principles of international law, friendly relations and cooperation between states in accordance with the UN Charter, the Statute of the Council of Europe, the Lisbon Agreement in the context of the reality of the system of universally recognized values recorded in them, as well as sources the rights of Ukraine: the Declaration on State Sovereignty of Ukraine, the Constitution of Ukraine, codes and other laws of Ukraine regarding the state (which is stable) of the implementation of universally recognized values into the laws of Ukraine; the problems of their implementation in modern conditions are identified and possible ways of their solution are proposed
The purpose of the article is to reveal the realities of the system of universally recognized values fixed in international legal documents and the state of their implementation in the laws of Ukraine; to propose ways of transforming such a system of values in order to ensure their effectiveness in the laws of Ukraine and compliance with modern requirements.
There are significant violations of the principles of international law, which embody universally recognized values; inadequate response of the international community to such violations; replacement of legal means by other means («political will», agreements, negotiations, «expression of concern», etc.). This turns the prescriptions of international documents into declarative provisions (declaration of ideas, opinions, statements), and the system of international legal values into a «catalogue of wishes» or slogans, since there is no system of legal means and a mechanism for their implementation.
The system of universally recognized values enshrined in the sources of international law was based on the idea of coexistence and cooperation of states and was really effective until the end of the 20th century. In connection with modern changes, it is important to form a new conceptual vision of international organizations, their role, significance, form and place in the new world order; creation of an effective institutional and functional mechanism for solving global problems; revision and updating of the system of generally recognized values regarding the interaction of member states within international organizations, as well as their external interaction. The existing system of universally recognized values should be transformed into a system of legal ideas, which are fixed in the basic principles of international law, and their violation should be interpreted as illegal actions. The mechanism for ensuring them should consist exclusively of effective legal means that cause direct (and not conditional) legal responsibility for their violation.
All this will make it possible to form new international and legal forms of interaction between the participating states, which will be able to effectively respond to globalization changes and provide appropriate conditions for the further development of humanity.
Key words: international law, principles of international law, universally recognized values, laws of Ukraine.
1. Statut Orhanizatsii Obiednanykh Natsii i Statut Mizhnarodnoho Sudu vid 17.12.1963 r. ¹ 995_010.
2. Deklaratsiia pro pryntsypy mizhnarodnoho prava shchodo druzhnikh vidnosyn ta spivrobitnytstva mizh derzhavamy, pryiniata rezoliutsiieiu 2625 (XXV) Heneralnoiu Asambleieiu OON vid 24.10.1970 r. ¹ 995_569. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_569
3. Statut Rady Yevropy vid 05.05.1949 r. ¹ 994_001. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_001
4. Konventsiia pro zakhyst prav liudyny ta osnovopolozhnykh svobod vid 4.11.1950 r. ¹ 995_004. URL: https:// zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_004
5. Treaty of Lisbon amending the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community, signed at Lisbon, 13 December 2007. URL: http://data.europa.eu/eli/treaty/lis/sign
6. Deklaratsiia pro derzhavnyi suverenitet Ukrainy vid 16.07.1990 r. ¹ 55-12.
7. Konstytutsiia Ukrainy: Zakon Ukrainy vid 28.06.1996 r. ¹ ¹ 254k/96-VR.
8. Pro zahalnoderzhavnu prohramu adaptatsii zakonodavstva Ukrainy do zakonodavstva Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu: Zakon Ukrainy vid 18.03.2004 r. ¹ 1629-IV. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/card/1629-15
9. Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom, Yevropeiskym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i yikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi storony vid 1.09.2017 r. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/card/984_011
10. Mytnyi Kodeks Ukrainy: Zakon Ukrainy vid 13.03.2012 r. ¹ 4495-VI. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/ card/4495-17
11. Tsyvilnyi kodeks Ukrainy: Zakon Ukrainy vid 16.01.2003 r. ¹ 435-IV. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/card/435-15
12. Kryminalnyi protsesualnyi kodeks Ukrainy: Zakon Ukrainy vid 13.04. 2012 r. ¹ 4651-VI. URL:https://zakon. rada.gov.ua/laws/card/4651-17
13. Luts, L., Nastasiak, ²., Karmazina, Ñ., Kovbasiuk, S. Prospects for the development of modern interstate legal systems in the context of globalization challenges (2021). Amazonia Investiga. 10 (40), 233–243. https://doi. org/10.34069/AI/2021.40.04.23/
14. Luts L. A., Nastasiak I. Yu. Mekhanizm harantuvannia pryntsypu pidtrymannia mizhnarodnoho myru i bezpeky: suchasni realii. Almanakh prava. 2022. ¹ 13. S. 113–119.