The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 14 (2023), 285- 290 p.
Nykolyna K. V. Legal regulation of legal interpretation technique: analysis of perspectives in modern conditions.
The rules of legal interpretation are an integral part of modern legal practice. Legal interpretation plays a direct role in the process of giving meaning to the legal text, which is crucial for determining the effectiveness and feasibility of legislation.
The legal interpretation technique ensures consistency, predictability and fairness in making legal decisions. However, the lack of uniformity of methods and techniques of legal interpretation in different legal systems and even among different subjects of official interpretation within the same system can create confusion and unpredictability, which will lead to contradictory and unfair results. This article aims to determine the significance of the rules of the legal technique of interpretation in modern legal practice and the prospects of their legal regulation in Ukraine.
The issue states the existence of an agreed scientific position in Ukraine, that the legal technique of interpretation includes principles, methods, rules, methods, technologies, which are used by the subject of interpretation in the implementation of legal interpretation activities. However, legal practice found itself in the conditions of the absence of unified algorithms for the use of techniques and methods of official interpretation objectified in normative sources.
It is indicated that the regulation of the technique of interpretation of legislation can also contribute to the protection of human rights and the rule of law by ensuring transparency and accountability in the adoption of legal decisions in the process of interpretation. The author analyzed international experience and various approaches to the normative consolidation of rules and principles of interpretation of legal texts. In addition, the article reveals the content of the newest idea of substantiating interpretive law as a part of legal regulation.
According to the author, legal standardization of legal interpretation can be carried out in various ways: as an element of the legal technique of law-making, it is possible to ensure authentic interpretation through the adoption of normative legal acts of the same level, in which the legislator clarifies individual terms, phrases, etc.; by adopting, together with a specific act, the desired methods by which this act should be interpreted (special instructions that take into account the peculiarities of the interpretation of a specific legal text); by adopting general interpretive principles and rules for use in the interpretation of any legal texts or for each of their varieties.
Finally, the article substantiates the need to establish priority approaches, general standards and principles of official interpretation of legal texts at the regulatory level, to define the main techniques and methods, to clearly outline the range of subjects of official interpretation and the consequences of legal interpretation activity.
Key words: legal interpretation, legal interpretation activity, interpretation technologies, rules of interpretation, legal technique, official interpretation, legal regulation, interpretive law.
1. Liashenko R. D., Kyryshun Yu. S. Tekhnika tlumachennia norm prava: poniattia, pryntsypy, struktura. Prykarpatskyi yurydychnyi visnyk. 2021. ¹ 3. S. 3‒7.
2. Shutak I. D. Yurydychna tekhnika tlumachennia norm prava. Naukovo-Informatsiinyi visnyk. Seriia «Pravo». 2015. ¹ 11. S. 18–24.
3. Pryima S. V. Pryntsypy tlumachennia norm prava (do postanovky pytannia). Derzhavne budivnytstvo ta mistseve samovriaduvannia. 2010. Vyp. 19. S. 116‒126.
4. Paulina Konca, Creating law of interpretation: a risky or fundamental step?, Revus [Online], 45 | 2021, Online since 02 November 2021, connection on 27 April 2023. URL: http://journals.openedition.org/revus/7500; DOI: https://doi.org/10.4000/revus.7500
5. William Baude & Stephen E. Sachs, The Law of Interpretation, 130 Harvard Law Review 1079 (2017).
6. Greenberg, Mark, What Makes a Method of Legal Interpretation Correct? Legal Standards vs. Fundamental Determinants (January 30, 2017). In Harvard Law Review Forum (Forthcoming), UCLA School of Law, Public Law Research Paper No. 17-06, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2908611
7. Antoshkina V. K. Yurydychne tlumachennia: teoriia i praktyka: dys. d-ra yuryd. nauk: 12.00.01. Kharkiv, 2021. 492 s.
8. Konca, Paulina. (2022) Incorrect Interpretation in the Light of the Law of Interpretation. International Journal for the Semiotics of Law – Revue internationale de Sémiotique juridique. DOI: 10.1007/s11196-022-09892-8
9. Pro pravotvorchu diialnist: Proekt Zakonu Ukrainy. URL: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/ webproc4_1?pf3511=72355