The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 14 (2023), 309- 313 p.
Pivovar I. V. Judicial self-government in Ukraine.
This article is devoted to the study of judges in Ukraine, the order of their employment in administrative positions. Being a judge of the relevant court is not only a profession, it is an observance of the rules of conduct that must be observed every day both in one’s work and in one’s personal life. The judicial profession differs from other professions, a judge must be guided only by procedural law.
Also, when administering justice, a judge cannot depend on the legislative and executive bodies as a whole. It will be appropriate to consider the issue of a judge in an administrative position. And determine their order of appointment to the relevant position in the court. Today, the issue of judges in administrative positions is very extensive and requires additional research.
The draft law “On restoring trust in the judicial system of Ukraine” was developed with the aim of ensuring the implementation of guarantees of the independence of judges, as well as reducing illegal influence on judges who hold administrative positions, the relevant courts, restoring trust in society, as well as in the judiciary. Therefore, the achievement of the goal is proposed through the adoption of the specified law.
It provides for the term of holding an administrative position in the courts of cassation up to three years, and also establishes restrictions on the possibility of the same person occupying the position of the head of the court for two consecutive terms. But the main Law of Ukraine for regulating the appointment of judges to administrative positions is the Law of Ukraine “On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges”, which regulates issues related to all judges.
Well, let’s summarize the above-mentioned law, which entered into force on March 28, 2015. Part 4 of Article 20 of Law No. 2453, as amended by Law No. 192, stipulates that a judge elected to an administrative position in the manner specified by this article cannot hold one administrative position of the corresponding court for more than two terms in a row.
In connection with the adoption of this draft law, on January 4, 2023, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine registered an alternative draft law 8296-1 on the election of court presidents, in which it is proposed to provide for the possibility of early dismissal of the court president from office by the Council of Judges of Ukraine, in case of non-compliance with the restrictions on holding the office the chairman of the court is a judge who has already been elected for more than two terms in a row.
This Draft Law proposes that judges of all courts of the country (from local courts to the High Anti-Corruption Court and Cassation Courts as part of the Supreme Court) elect presidents and deputy presidents of courts for a period of 4 years, but only the head of the Supreme Court will personally approve them.
Key words: state, judge, procedure for appointing judges, administrative position, judicial power, justice, legal status of judges.
1. Deklaratsiia pro derzhavnyi suverenitet Ukrainy 1990 roku. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady URSR. 1990. ¹ 31. St. 429.
2. Pro kontseptsiiu vdoskonalennia sudivnytstva dlia utverdzhennia spravedlyvoho sudu v Ukraini vidpovidno do Yevropeiskykh standartiv: Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy vid 10.05.2006 r. ¹ 361/2006. URL: https://zakon.rada. gov.ua/laws/show/361/2006#Text
3. Pro kontseptualni pidkhody Rady suddiv Ukrainy do podalshoho zdiisnennia sudovo – pravovoi reformy v Ukraini: Rada suddiv Ukrainy zaiava vid 26.05.2006 r. ¹ 0003414-06. URL: https://zakononline.com.ua/ documents/show/143100___143100
4. Pro zvilnennia suddi z administratyvnoi posady: Rishennia Konstytutsiinoho Sudu Ukrainy vid 16.05.2007 r. ¹ 1-rp/2007. URL: https://hcj.gov.ua/page/rishennya-konstytuciynogo-sudu-ukrayiny-vid-16052007-no-1- rp2007
5. Pro tymchasovyi poriadok pryznachennia suddiv na administratyvni posady ta zvilnennia z tsykh posad: Postanova Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy vid 30.05.2007 r. ¹ 1098-V. Ofitsiinyi sait Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1098-16#Text
6. Shchodo pryznachennia suddiv na administratyvni posady v sudakh zahalnoi yurysdyktsii ta zvilnennia z tsykh posad: Rishennia Rady suddiv Ukrainy vid 10 hrudnia 2003 r. ¹ 1425. Ofitsiinyi sait Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/n0002415-07#Text
7. Pro vidnovlennia doviry do sudovoi vlady v Ukrainy: Zakon Ukrainy vid 08.04.2014 r. ¹ 1188-VII. Ofitsiinyi sait Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1188-18#Text
8. Pro sudoustrii i status suddiv: Zakon Ukrainy vid 02.06.2016 r. ¹ 1402-VIII. Ofitsiinyi sait Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1402-19#Text
9. Pro sudoustrii i status suddiv shchodo udoskonalennia protsedury obrannia suddiv na administratyvni posady ta zvilnennia z tsykh posad: Proekt Zakonu pro vnesennia zmin do Zakonu Ukrainy vid 04.01.2023 r. ¹ 8296-1. Ofitsiinyi sait Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. URL: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=75417