The scientific-practical Law Journal
“Almanac of Law” Volume 14 (2023), 321- 330 p.
Savka O. I. Criminal law regulation of private military and security companies in the USA.
The article examines the criminal law regulation of private military and security companies in the United States. The genesis of the emergence of private military and security companies, their functions and principles of activity are considered. The author analyzes the legislative framework that defines the status and position of private military and security companies in the United States.
The legal relations of US government agencies with private military and security companies are studied.
The author analyzes the US regulations on the joint activities of the US Department of Defense, the Department of Justice and the Department of State on the joint policy governing the powers of private military and security companies, namely, the mechanism of command and control over employees of private military and security companies, including in the collection and analysis of intelligence information.
The author identifies topical issues of criminal law regulation of activities and liability of private military and security companies in the United States.
The article examines the doctrines of liability that have, in one way or another, provided private military and security companies with the opportunity to protect themselves from prosecution in American courts. Some of the liability rules relate to the immunity of the State from prosecution in any court, both domestic and foreign, which have been repeatedly applied by the United States.
Key words: private military companies in the USA, private security companies in the USA, criminal law regulation, regulatory acts of the USA, principles of activity.
1. PRIV-WAR Report – The United States of America. The American Way: Private military contractors. URL: http://psm.du.edu/media/documents/reports_and_stats/think_ tanks/privwar_national-report_huskey-sullivan. pdf
2. Lanigan K. Legal regulation of PMSCs in the United States: The Gap between Law and Practice. URL: http://www.privatesecurityregulation.net/files/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20PMSC%20Article,%20US,%20 Kevin%20Lanigan,%20Final.pdf
3. Singer P. Corporate Warriors. Cornell University Press, 2007.
4. U. S. Congressional Budget Office Report, Contractor`s Support of U. S. Operations in Iraq, August 2008.
5. Aning K., Jaye T., Atuobi S. The Role of Private military Companies in US-Africa Policy. Review of African Political Economy. Volume 35. Issue 118. 2008.
6. Ofitsiinyi sait Mizhnarodnoi prohramy spryiannia navchanniu metodiv rozsliduvannia zlochyniv: URL: https:// www.justice.gov/criminal-icitap
7. Ofitsiinyi sait kompanii: URL: http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/what-we-do.html
8. Snouden pro diialnist kompanii: URL: http://vz.ru/news/2013/6/24/638610.html, ofitsiinyi sait kompanii: http://www.boozallen.com/ (data obrashchenyia: 09.09.2013).
9. Risen J., Mazzetti M. Blackwaterguards ties to secret C.I.A. raids. New York Times, 10 December 2009. URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/us/politics/11blackwater.html?_r=0
10. Ciralsky A. Tycoon, contractor, soldier, spy, Vanity Fair, January 2010. URL: http://www.vanityfair.com/ news/2010/01/blackwater-201001
11. Instruktsiia MO SShA pro operatyvni pidtrymku, 20.12.2011, ¹ 3020.41, para. 6.1.1. URL: https://www.gpo. gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title32-vol1/pdf/CFR-2014-title32-vol1-sec105-1.pdf
12. Contractors support of U.S. operations in Iraq, 2008. P. 22.
13. Statement of Administration Policy, S. 1390 National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010, Executive Office of the President, 15 July, 2009.
14. National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010, Section S. 1038. P. 262–263.
15. Office of Management and Budget Circular, Performance of Commercial Activities ¹ A-76 (Revised 1999).
16. Prohrama zi zbilshennia hromadianskoi uchasti u zabezpechenni tylu / Army Regulation (AR) 700-137 LOGISTICS CIVIL AUGMENTATION PROGRAM (LOGCAP).
17. Instruktsiia Ministerstva oborony SShA, Guidance for determining workforce mix 12.04.2010, ¹ 1100. 22. URL: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/110022p.pdf
18. Public Law 105-270 FAIR act, 19.10.1998.
19. Polove kerivnytstvo MO SShA pro diialnist pidriadnykiv u zoni boiovykh dii pryiniato 03 sichnia 2003, ¹ 3-100.21.
20. Instruktsiiu Ministerstva oborony SShA pro pidriadnykiv, yaki ydut za zbroinymy sylamy SShA, pryiniato 03.10.2005, ¹ 3020.41.
21. Memorandum ministra oborony SShA pro poshyrennia yurysdyktsii Yedynoho kodeksu viiskovoi yustytsii na pidriadnykiv, nainiatykh Ministerstvom oborony SShA, pryiniato 10.03.2008. URL: http://fas.org/sgp/ othergov/dod/gates-ucmj.pdf
22. Army Regulation AR 715-9 Operational Contract Support Planning and Management; Army Regulation AR 700-137 Lo-gistics Civil Augmentation Program.
23. Pravyla federalnykh zakupivel u sferi oborony iz popravkamy, pryiniatymy 30.12.2015, ¹ 252.225-7040(d). URL: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-12-30/pdf/2015-32869.pdf
24. Army Regulation AR 715-9 Operational Contract Support Planning and Management, para. 3-3 (d).
25. Polove kerivnytstvo MO SShA shchodo zastosuvannia syly.
26. Instruktsiiu Ministerstva oborony SShA pro kryminalnu yurysdyktsiiu shchodo tsyvilnykh osib, nainiatykh abo nastupnykh za zbroinymy sylamy za mezhamy SShA, pryiniato 03.03.2005 ¹ 5525.
27. Pidsumky slukhan pro diialnist spivrobitnykiv PVOK, provedenykh Konhresom SShA. URL: http://www. wartimecontracting.gov/index.php/ hearings/commission/hearing20090914
28. Project on Government Oversight, letter to Secretary of State Clinton regarding the United States Embassy in Kabul, 1 September 2009. URL: http://pogoarchives.org/m/co/state-dept/clinton-letter-withattachments-20090901.pdf
29. Arms Export Control Act, 22 U.S.C. §§ 2751-2799 (2011) – Need for international defense cooperation and military export controls; Presidential waiver; report to Congress; arms sales policy.
30. International Traffic in Arms Regulations, 22 C.F.R. §§ 120-130 (2011). URL: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/ granule/CFR-2011-title22-vol1/CFR-2011-title22-vol1-chapI-subchapM/content-detail.html
31. Coalition Provisional Order 17, §4, June 17, 2004. URL: http://www.iraqcoalition.org/regulations/
32. Agreement Between the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq On the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of Their Activities during Their Temporary Presence in Iraq, dated and signed November 17, 2008.
33. Resolution 1511 (2003) adopted by the Security Council at its 4844th meeting, on 16 October 2003, S/RES/1511 (2003). URL: http://www.iaea.org/OurWork/SV/Invo/resolutions/res1511.pdf
34. Ofitsiinyi sait kompanii: URL: http://www.caci.com/about/profile.shtml
35. Investigation of the Abu-Ghraib Detention Facility and 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, MC George R. Fay, Investigat-ing Officer. URL: http://s3.amazonaws.com/corpwatch.org/downloads/FayReport.pdf
36. Marbury v Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 170 (1803).
37. U.S.Code – Judiciary and Judicial Procedure, sec. 2680 (a).
38. Saleh v. Titan Corp., 436 F. Supp. 2d 55 (D.D.C. 2006).
39. Koohi v. United States, 976 F.2d 1328, 1333 n.5 (9th Cir. 1992).
40. Feres v United States, 340 U.S. 135,146 (1950).
41. United States v. Spelar, 338 U.S. 217 (1949).
42. Straneri v. United States, 77 F. Supp. 240 (E.D. Pa. 1948).
43. Brunell v. United States, 77 F. Supp. 68 (S.D.N.Y 1948).