The scientific-practical Law Journal
ďAlmanac of LawĒ Volume 14 (2023), 165-170 p.
Yavir V. ņ. Transformation of Ukrainian Legislation on National Minorities in the Course of European Integration
The development and improvement of Ukrainian legislation on the protection of the rights of national minorities is an integral part of Ukraineís state-building as a European, democratic state. Thus the article analyzes the new version of the Law of Ukraine ďOn National Minorities (Communities) of UkraineĒ, which was adopted to meet the requirements of European integration, with a view to improving and enhancing the protection of national minority rights. Comparative and legal analysis has revealed a number of shortcomings that need to be addressed as soon as possible in order for the new law to have a positive impact on the protection of the rights of national minorities in Ukraine.
The biggest drawback of the Law of Ukraine ďOn National Minorities (Communities) of UkraineĒ amended in 2022 is that it does not systematically address the full range of problems in ensuring effective protection of the rights of national minorities. In addition to preserving the old problems and challenges related to the status of a national minority (community), the Law of Ukraine ďOn National Minorities (Communities) of UkraineĒ creates a number of new ones. The new version of the law also creates grounds for destructive processes, including the politicization of ethnicity among certain national minorities.
These include: narrowing the scope of rights, in particular, the elimination of the right to national and cultural autonomy; declarative and uncertain basic provisions, which creates a field for political speculation and manipulation and makes it impossible to effectively protect national minorities (communities) by exercising the rights enshrined in it; and, as a result, politicization of ethnicity and accumulation of discontent among national minorities (communities).
As predicted, the Law of Ukraine ďOn National Minorities (Communities) of UkraineĒ currently looks more like a formal response to the requirements of European integration, which needs to be amended in terms of specification and content, rather than an improvement of Ukraineís legislation on national minorities. Improving the protection of national minority rights in the course of Ukraineís European integration should not be limited to the adoption of a new version of the law on national minorities, but should also include the means and procedures for implementing a number of political and legal mechanisms for protecting the rights of national minorities, reforming the institutional structure of ethnic policy, etc.
Key words: national minorities, European integration, ethnic group, ethnic policy.
1. EU Commissionís Recommendations for Ukraineís EU candidate status. An official website of the European Union. URL: https://bit.ly/3B7DSv7
2. Yavir V. A. Udoskonalennya polityko-pravovoho zabezpechennya zakhystu prav natsionalínykh menshyn yak vymoha yevrointehratsiyi Ukrayiny. Politicus. 2022. Ļ 1. S. 143-148. DOI https://doi.org/10.24195/2414-9616.2022-spec.21
3. Zelensíkyy anonsuvav zakonoproyekt pro natsionalíni spilínoty. LB.UA. URL: https://bit.ly/3LoORqg
4. Stratehiya polityko-pravovoho rozvytku Ukrayiny do 2030 roku: naukovo-analitychna zapyska / kol. avt.; za red. I. O. Kresinoyi. Kyyiv: Instytut derzhavy i prava imeni V. M. Koretsíkoho NAN Ukrayiny, 2022. 176 s.
5. Kulyk V. Zakonoproyekt pro ęnatsionalíni spilínotyĽ: neyakisnyy tovar u harnomu pakuvanni. Ukrayinsíka pravda. URL: https://bit.ly/3H6nm2d
6. Shamayda T. Novyy zakon pro natsmenshyny: pro shcho vin i dlya choho. Texty.org.ua.
7. Pro natsionalíni menshyny: Zakon Ukrayiny. Vidomosti Verkhovnoyi Rady Ukrayiny. 1992. Ļ 36. St. 529.
8. Pro natsionalíni menshyny (spilínoty) Ukrayiny: Zakon Ukrayiny vid 13.12.2022. Zakonodavstvo Ukrayiny.
9. Zakon pro natsionalíno-personalínu avtonomiyu vid 22 sichnya 1918 r. Arkhivni dokumenty: Tsentralína Rada, UNR (1917Ė1918 rr.). URL: https://bit.ly/3H8Ufvf.
10. Uhorshchyna napolyahaye na zmini ukrayinsíkoho zakonu pro osvitu. Osvita.ua.